Monday 7 March 2011

interview with a photographer: Emelie Magnusson


Dogs Have Always Been a big part of her life.
Besides dogs, she have a passion for photography. Her pictures have been published in Canada and in the U.S. . She have been booked for photo assignments throughout Sweden and Norway. She is not limited to photography because She's also very active in sports with her dogs getting excelent results ... but I wouldn't explain you all now...Enjoy this wonderful interview :)


First of all , some warm up questions


How many hours did you sleep last night?
Didn't count. But now when it's weekend, maybe 9 hours.


You prefer mountains or  seaside?
Seaside


The largest number of photos you've ever done in a day?
About 3.000


Ok , I think is enough , let's be more serious begin with the interview


Could you tell our readers a little about yourself
My name is Emelie Magnusson, born and have grown up in the second largest city in Sweden, Gothenburg. I was born summer - 93, so I am still studying.
I'm a pretty active and social person, get easily bored, and always have to have something to do.
My favorite subject in school is english (even though my very bad spelling and grammar skills. Sorry for that.) And hopefully I will move to the UK in the future with my dogs, and also continue my studies there.
I began to take photos when I got my first camera in 2007/2008, and today some of my pictures have been published in both USA and Canada. And I have also been booked to do some photoshoots in Norway, and of course in my own homecountry Sweden.
I also have my own blog and website: http://www.hundliv.webb.se (today only in Swedish, but soon the english site will be released too.

Did you also do some sports with your dogs?
Yes, with my two shetland sheepdogs I compete in both agility and obedience.


Tell us more about the competitions with your dogs.
I began to compete in agility with my today oldest sheltie Ronja, in 2007/2008. I was then just a "true beginner" in this sport, but my intrest just started to grow faster and faster. Especially when we've had done our first trial. And after our first competition we went really fast up to the higher classes together. It didn't even take more than one month before we were in class 2 after our debut. (in Sweden, we only have 3 classes. I-III) Unfortunally Ronja have been very sick the last year. But it seems like she have begin to recover completly.
With Ronja I have also competeted a bit in obedience with good results. I hope that we can continue more this year, and also take the title LP1, and parhaps compete a bit in the higher classes. But I don't know, unfortunally Ronja is a shy little girl. A bit insecure when we compete in obedience. I see it more like a dogsport - "just for fun", for the variation.
Today I also compete in agility with my very tiny, soon 3 years old sheltie, named Viggo. A little "racersheltie" with A LOT of power and will. I often call him my own little golden boy, not only because his my own little idol, but also because of his golden sable colours.
Viggo and I began to compete "for real" in 2010, and after his first competetition year we can call him "club championship master 2010", and "årets agilityungdom 2010* " (swedish). *to explain what that title means: he was the best small-dog in Sweden by SHU.* And he have only (when no faults) recieved 1th places.  Not bad at all if you ask me! :-)
But in my own opionion it's not the results that counts when you compete - it's the joy and happines. You don't always have to win everytime, and everyone can have a bad day. Both handler and dogs. And sometimes everyone makes a mistake.
And in the end it's not the results or the ribbons that counts... It's the journey that you and your dog do together, side by side.




Which were yours best agility and obedience moments?
Wow... Well, I have A LOT of good memories and moments in both agility and obedience. But I think my best memory in agility was when me and some trainingfriends had a "agility-show" in Scandinavium in Gothenburg-Sweden 2010. When we ran together on the course meanwhile about 12.000 peoples were looking at us live. A true experience!

Emelie & Ronja


Tell me a little bit about your start in dog sports photography
It came very naturally for me, because I compete a lot in agility with my dogs.
Then I also got very inspired from many good photographers in the past. I found it very intresting when they had taken a lot of great action shots that "froze" the dogs in the air. For example over a jump.

What kind of equipment do you use?
Today I have a Nikon D90, some photofilters and lenses. (Tamron 90mm (for macro), Tamron 70-300mm (for dogsport), Nikon 55-300mm (for dogsport), Nikkor 18-135mm (not often used), and a Nikkor 50mm 1.8 (for portrait) )


Which one item of equipment would you say is the most important to you?
My lenses. (haha) probably my Nikon 55-300mm.

Did you have a mentor now? In the past?
No, actually not in photography. There I have only had some photographers that have inspiried me to continue on taking pictures.
In dog training/agility training - Jenny Damm




Why do you love photography?
The freedome to create and show what you have seen. Some things you just can't see and study with a normal human eye. But with a camera you can.
Then I love when a picture can tell a story and create feelings inside of you.

You are very active in photography competitions and seminars. Where did you shooted your best photos ?
Oh, I have taken a lot of good pictures that I really like.. But some of my favorite photos was taken on Gotland last year.


The most beautiful photographic memories of 2010
Two of my favorite "photo memories" was in Gotland last summer. The first one was in a very early morning when the sun was on the way up. It was still cold outisde and the dew was still laying on the grass. I sat in my competing tent waiting for the first start in one of the agilityclasses. I just sat there, waiting with my camera to begin the working day. Breathing in and out the cold air, and I just felt very happy. Then the sunrise began and so did also the competition. I may not shoot my best pictures there, but it was totally one of the greatest moments for the summer.
The next best memory was only some days after this moment. We were at Gotlands most southern part, waiting for the sun to go down. We went on the cliffs together; me, my dogs and my camera. Taking a lot of pictures, and then I shoot some of my best photos I have ever taken in the sundown.

Do you have any advice for a beginner how wants to take pictures during agility competition?Which setup is more suitable?
First but not least: Do never give up! Everyone can take good pictures, but you need to belive and love what you are doing to take great pictures.
Read the manual for your camera so you know how to change shutter and aperture, and have a good lens with you. (and at least 200/300mm or something like that. Or else you may not reach the object far enough*)
Then take some test pictures, and explore your camera and what you can do with it before.
Something that you should always remember is to never-ever have the sun in front of you and you camera. Have it in you back or something like that.


Any plans for the future?
As I said before, my dream is to create my own business and move to the UK for some years in the future.
I will continue on my agility training, and hopefully you will see us competing around in europe soon.

Thank you so much for taking the time to do this interview! Do you have anything else you would like to add?
My (very simple) answer: Carpe Diem!









visit ronja.cybersite.se
        www.hundliv.webb.se


videos

sheltie summer!


summarizes the agility-year with Viggo




all photos are a courtesy of Emelie Magnusson

0 comments:

Post a Comment

wibiya widget