Wednesday 12 January 2011

interview with a pro: Kath Hardman


I think this person does not need to be introduced to those who follow the dog dance they have heard a lot about Kath Hardman
Winner of the Britsh Crufts Freestyle and International Crufts Freestyle 2008
Kath is the winner of the FCI HTM World Championship 2010
Kath has competed all over the British Isles and also in Denmark. She has helped people train their dogs in the UK, USA, Japan, Russia, The Czech Republic, Holland, Finland, France, Belgium, Denmark and Israel. She has judged at Crufts in 2006, qualified to judge in Denmark and for a large group in the USA.
She has been invited to entertain at Crufts every year since 2000.
Enjoy reading...
First of all some warm up questions... 


Your favorite number ? 
No real favourite but 13 has always been good to me.
Do you prefer to eat at the restaurant or at home ? 
I like both - but enjoy the luxury of a good, well prepared meal anywhere!
The last telephone call you made? to whom? 
To my local garage to book the van in for a new fuel filter.
Ok, now let's start the real interview
Could you tell our readers a little about yourself 
Kath Hardman - started HTM in 1999 with a 7 year old dog, Ginnie.  I currently live in a small village in Derbyshire with my husband David.  We have no children (by choice) but enjoy our extended family of dogs.  I have had a mix of jobs, local council admin/court work, car hire, professional driver and we owned a Post Office until 1999 when I was then able to take time teaching my dog and myself HTM/Freestyle.  I do not "work" at Dog Training - I do the occasional lesson for people and I am always happy to carry out a full training day or weekend but regular lessons take away a lot of the enjoyment I have with this sport.  Its my hobby.
I am a Member of the Kennel Club GB, I work on the KC HTM Working Party and the KC Judges Working Party and I'm a KC Accredited Trainer of judges running seminars in Rules &Regulations, Show Organising and an HTM Practical.
I have trained people and judged in many countries.  I was Head Judge at the Nordic Competition 2009 and I have judged Crufts in 2006 and I have accepted an invitation to Judge Crufts 2012.
My Crossbreed Spice won the British Freestyle and the International Freestyle at Crufts in 2008.  And my Working Sheepdog Ginnie gained equal first score in HTM in 2005 aged 14yrs.

Tell me a little bit about your start in dog sports?  
I have competed in Obedience, Working Trials and tried Agility, but HTM is where I have put all my efforts.
Tell me about the period between 1996 and 1999.Before the era of competition, you felt the need to make a change. It seems to have everything worked out better. Do you have any regrets?  
 In 1996 we had a business - a Post Office - working every hour of every day building up trade.  We decided that there was more important things in life than work so in 1999 we sold the business.  We were then able to look after my mother who was living with us as she had a terminal illness which was and deteriorating.   For my "time out" it was with my dogs.  Tess who was happy to be a pet dog as long as she had her walks and play each day - and Ginnie who was a fiery red head and who was desperate for a job!   No regrets at all - we competed successfully from our first competition and Ginnie's attitude to life changed towards dancing and being with me!


VIDEO Kath Hardman with Amber performing in the Individual Final, FCI HTM World Championship
by Dogdancinguk
Kath Hardman and Amber's performance on Sunday the 27th June 2010 at the HTM World Championship 2010.
Kath and Amber won the World Championship!



Tell me more about the Top Lodge Dancing Dogs 
HTM introduced me to Lesley Neville and Karen Sykes.   We became firm friends in 2001 and were asked to put on a demonstration of HTM/FS - so we needed a name for the team.  We met at Lesley's House which is called Top Lodge and decided that the name was right for us.   We still train occasionally together but meet regularly to arrange our busy diaries.   We have 7 dogs at the moment - all our pets - and we are hoping for two additional pups arriving in 2011.

Tell me about the 2010 season, what were your expectations, as did the season and the best and worst time spent 
The year started as always with the Crufts 2010 Semi Finals.  I had three dogs competing with 5 routines all in the Advanced Class.  Four of the routines qualified for Crufts.   The FCI World Show was a wonderful result for my dog Amber who was placed 2nd at Crufts and has won many Advanced Class Competitions during the year.  The worst time in 2010 was when Tipp died in August.


VIDEO Kath and Spice performing at Crufts 2008
Kath Hardman and her 6 yr old Crossbreed, September Spice FS A Ex who won both the British and the International Freestyle Final at Crufts 2008. This routine is from the International Final held on the 8th of March 2008 in the NEC Arena at Crufts.
by Dogdancinguk
Music: If I Only Had a Brain from The Wizard of Oz.

At the finals of DFS Crufts 2010 you have two dogs to manage , how it was ? 
I have both my dogs qualified for the Crufts Semi Finals which will be held in January 2011.   Amber is qualified for both HTM and Freestyle and Spice is qualified in Freestyle.   I also qualified Tipp in both divisions, but as you know, sadly he died in August 2010.   It is hard work but in the past I have had 5 routines in the Semi Finals.
The first things that come to your mind remembering the FCI HTM World Championship 2010
The moment that the British National Anthem was played for Amber and myself.   I felt very proud.

You travel a lot which is the most beautiful country you've visited.  Gosh that's a tough question - each country has beautiful sights - I think the scenery in Japan was wonderful.
How much time you devote to training during the week
I try and train every day for 1 to 2 hours, but if I don't train then I don't feel guilty as I do plenty!!

In the beginning how much time does you have spent to learn a routine. How much time do you need nowadays?
The routines evolve over approximately 4 to 6 months - and during this time parts can change if the music and moves don't "work together" or if new innovative ideas arise.  In the past we used to do 4 different routines per year but the routines are now far more complex.

Plans for the future
To enjoy my dogs and dancing whilst ever I'm fit enough.  Always ensuring my dogs well being is first and foremost in whatever I do.  Hoping for a new puppy around March 2011.
Thank you so much for taking the time to do this interview! Do you have anything else you would like to add?
Lots of questions - hope my answers are interesting :-)


please visit:
www.dancingdogs.co.uk
www.htmteamgb.blogspot.com
all photos are a courtesy of
Allan Brown  allanbrown.blogspot.com
Alan Seymour seymourdogs.fpic.co.uk
VIDEO Ginnie and Kath Hardman CanCan Crufts
by Dogdancinguk
Kath and Ginnie entertaining at Crufts in 2001 when she was 8 yrs old. Ginnie competed successfully, at Crufts 2007 at 14 years old she achieved an equal score with the winner.



VIDEO Kath Hardman and a young Amber dancing at Crufts 2007
by Dogdancinguk
Kath Hardman and Amber (Stillmoor Lady in Red HTM A EX)performing at Crufts 2007.
Amber was just 23 mth old and the youngest dog ever to qualify for a HTM or Freestyle Final at Crufts.
Their music was 'Mazurka' from Coppelia and they placed 5th.
Dogs in UK can't compete until 12 months old. At 14 months Amber won out of Novice HTM, at 15.5 months she won out of Intermediate and at 17 months qualified in the Advanced HTM Class for Crufts semi 2007.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

wibiya widget